Healing Racism Discussion/Practice Group
All are welcome to join us
Tuesdays from 7-8 we're sharing the book Mindful of Race: Transforming Racism from the Inside Out by Ruth King.
Apparently the book is hard to get, which is great news because it means a lot of people suddenly want to read it! If you want to participate in the group but don't have a copy, I'll read aloud from mine. You can also order the audio book here: https://ruthking.net/publications/.
We have agreed to focus on:
* learning about systemic racism and how it affects us all
* using the powerful vehicle of mindfulness and spiritual practice for personal growth
* deeper insight into our own experiences
* deeper understanding of others’ experiences
* healing and transformation rather than theorizing, giving advice, lamenting
* cultivating gentleness, compassion, patience - because there’s already so much (valid) urgency, passion, intensity
* creating safe space in this group and a welcoming spiritual community for all
People of all spiritual traditions, or none, are welcome. The emphasis of this work is on mindfulness, the author of the book practices Buddhism, and this work deeply aligns with and enriches our Spiritualist principles.
We will start by meeting as one group, and if it seems helpful we can branch off into affinity groups.
We will include a few minutes of quiet mindfulness practice in each meeting.
You'll receive a separate Zoom link for this group, different from the one for Sunday morning. Feel free to invite your friends, who should each email us for the Zoom info as well. Having an email address for each person attending helps us create safe space for all involved, and the Zoom info will not be shared publicly.